Sunday, July 31, 2011

Week 20 - Summertime

With the arrival of some gorgeous tomatoes in our box (and a few starting to emerge in our garden), it finally feels like summertime.  The colors in the box have gone from many shades of green to a brighter palette of reds, oranges, yellows, and should make for some beautiful summer meals in the coming week.  That said, we have welcomed a new puppy into our lives (Olive!), and so hoping not to have to cook anything too time intensive this week.  With ingredients like these, hopefully they'll do most of the work for me.

In the box this week
(top) lettuce, green beans, lemon cucumbers, cabbage, arugula
(bottom) carrots, cauliflower, tomatoes, yellow watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries

Meal plan for the week
Monday: Tomato and basil quiche, salad with Lettuce, Lemon Cucumbers, Carrots
Thursday: make fresh sauerkraut for consumption next week

It's my 20th week of blogging our box, and I just had my 2,000th visit to the blog!  I can't really say what my expectations were in terms of viewership as I got this started, but I'm pleased to find that it's been good reading for at least a few people.  In the coming weeks, my goal is to get all of the recipes tagged by ingredient, and then create links through to the recipes by either fruit or veggie.  As I embarked on this journey, I did expect to become much more comfortable with the ingredients, but I'm now also realizing that I'm learning a lot about this mode of communication.  By the end of this year, I hope I'll have gotten closer to mastering both.

P.S. If this is your first time at Year in a Box, read this to learn more about what our family is up to! 
This week's title is inspired by the song of the same name by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! You're so lucky in California to get such amazing fruit and produce in your CSA Box. I volunteer at a CSA here in Montana and the weekly boxes are small and limited. We're in the heart of the Rockies, so the growing season is short and the conditions are challenging. I like your variety of vegetarian recipes that focus on garden veggies. I'll definitely be stopping by your blog again for dinner ideas.

    ReplyDelete