Eaters - 8.5 Compost - 2.5 (ugh!) Carry Over - 0
Not a banner week for executing against the plan. Between the holiday weekend, and busy summer nights (full of more activities than I can keep up with, it seems), there were a couple of nights where the best laid meal plan just didn't come together. By the time I got around to them, the sorrel and kale - which I didn't take steps to preserve very well in the fridge - were wilted and looking pretty sad. I still do want to try the recipes that I found but never got made (grilled coconut kale, halibut with sorrel-tomato sauce), but here's the report out on what we did enjoy this past week.
- The 'red, white and blue' crisp was a big hit at a fourth of July potluck. White peaches, along with Strawberries, Blackberries and blueberries made for a lovely purple goo by the time they were done cooking, but everyone appreciated the effort, and the flavors, in the crisp!
- My husband rotisseried a chicken, and glazed it with an improvised Grapefruit smoked paprika sauce. Yum!
- I must admit, I was very skeptical about this Asian style Kohlrabi salad as it came together. Individually the aromas of the ingredients just didn't seem to be working. Once it was all tossed together, though, it was a completely different story. For my first try at preparing kohlrabi, I was very pleased - and I'd definitely make this delicious salad again!
- Hard to go wrong with red white and blue french toast on the fourth. Or, wait... 'American' toast?
- This lovely salad included seven ingredients from our CSA box (current and previous weeks): Lettuce, Celery, Cucumbers and Carrots; Zucchini and Sweet Onions, grilled; and a Green Garlic, mustard vinagrette.