Monday, July 25, 2011

Week 19 - Knocks Me Off My Feet

Life is full of surprises, many that knock you down unexpectedly.  I just found out that a good friend (and former boss) passed away this weekend from complications of his Type 1 diabetes, which he had managed since childhood.  Only a few years older than me, it's so hard to get my head around the fact that he is gone.  As I try to make sense out of something that seems senseless, one of the only things that I can hold onto right now is my own effort to stay healthy.  Diabetes is in my family history, and I have an increased risk of onset since I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with the boys.  Sometimes it feels hard to eat as well as I should, but today is not one of those days.  Continuing this journey - with my health, with the health of my family, with the box - seems all the more important today, as I remember my friend who left this world too soon. 

In the box this week
(top) lettuce, cabbage, basil, swiss chard
(bottom) radishes, cucumbers, green tomatoes, grapefruit, watermelon, strawberries
Meal plan for the week
Sunday: grilled fish with Grapefruit peach salsa
Monday: spaghetti with grilled Green Tomato, Basil caprese
Tuesday: chicken enchiladas with Green Tomato salsa verde
Wednesday: hot Swiss Chard artichoke dip for a potluck
Thursday: turkey burgers with Hawaiian coleslaw

Not much else to say for this week, but here's "to your health."
This week's title is inspired by the song of the same name by Stevie Wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment