Saturday, July 23, 2011

Week 18 in Review

The Score
Eaters - 10     Compost - 0.5   Carry Over - 1.5

This ended up being a pretty easy, breezy carefree week of cooking.  Of course, having a husband who loves to cook helps a lot, and he did make some amazing meals last weekend.  The plan of keeping things fairly simple worked well, though, for our mid-week meals.  We lost a bit of basil that lost it's gusto before we had a chance to use it all up, and have some onions, lemons and a few zucchini from two weeks ago that we're carrying over.  Given the pace of our summer nights, though, I feel like we've been both eating well, and continuing to enjoy our box.

The Best
  • Our family loves chicken, but the Lemon tarragon Sweet Onion roasted chicken took things to a new level of enjoyment.  If you look closely, you can see some tarragon hiding under the skin, while the lemon and onions were hiding in the cavity.  

The Good
  • While we neglected to get 'after' photos, my husband made some delicious pizzas on the grill over the weekend, which featured a variety of yummy ingredients from the box and farmer's market (photo was taken while he was planning his pizzas)
  • We used some pesto in this pasta recipe that we had previously made and frozen (worked perfectly, just added the parmesan after defrosting), and with some green beans and a Jamie Oliver chopped salad, used five CSA ingredients in this meal

The Rest
  • I think it was more execution than recipe, but sadly I can't say that I was the biggest fan of my fried green tomatoes.  I'm not a very experienced food frier, and I think I cooked them too quickly and didn't give the tomatoes a chance to soften up at all.  The flavors were good, but I think there are probably better versions of this to try out there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment