Eaters - 10 Compost - 0.5 Carry Over - 1.5
This ended up being a pretty easy, breezy carefree week of cooking. Of course, having a husband who loves to cook helps a lot, and he did make some amazing meals last weekend. The plan of keeping things fairly simple worked well, though, for our mid-week meals. We lost a bit of basil that lost it's gusto before we had a chance to use it all up, and have some onions, lemons and a few zucchini from two weeks ago that we're carrying over. Given the pace of our summer nights, though, I feel like we've been both eating well, and continuing to enjoy our box.
- Our family loves chicken, but the Lemon tarragon Sweet Onion roasted chicken took things to a new level of enjoyment. If you look closely, you can see some tarragon hiding under the skin, while the lemon and onions were hiding in the cavity.
- While we neglected to get 'after' photos, my husband made some delicious pizzas on the grill over the weekend, which featured a variety of yummy ingredients from the box and farmer's market (photo was taken while he was planning his pizzas)
- What should have been an omelette with Broccoli, Swiss Chard, and Sweet Onions turned into a frittata due to a last minute rush, but we were all pretty excited to be eating a meal featuring seven different items from the box (can you find all seven?)
- We used some pesto in this pasta recipe that we had previously made and frozen (worked perfectly, just added the parmesan after defrosting), and with some green beans and a Jamie Oliver chopped salad, used five CSA ingredients in this meal
- I think it was more execution than recipe, but sadly I can't say that I was the biggest fan of my fried green tomatoes. I'm not a very experienced food frier, and I think I cooked them too quickly and didn't give the tomatoes a chance to soften up at all. The flavors were good, but I think there are probably better versions of this to try out there.