Monday, June 20, 2011

I'll Be Waiting

In early April, I wrote about getting this year's garden going in Dig Your Hands in the Dirt.  It was a process that I had started a couple of months earlier, for the first time trying to get nearly everything I was going to grow started by seed.  By this time of the year, based on my previous experiences, we'd be enjoying the beginning of our harvest.  Not so this time around.  Given the smaller nature of my own seedlings (versus what I'd typically have bought at the nursery) along with a general lack of sun/heat so far this year, most of my plants have only gotten to the size of large seedlings.  It's been frustrating, but I'm encouraged by the fact that - though growth has been slow - I've only had a couple of the seedlings die.  It's likely still a couple of months before there is much to eat, but in the meantime I'll enjoy the more pleasant appearance of the garden (click here to see how it looked in early May). 

Everything grows
(protected from errant balls by lots of extra tomato ladders)

My potted fruit garden has been doing well, with three plus feet of growth on the fig tree and a few citrus on what I thought was a blood orange - but appears to be a lemon - tree.  I have recently added a potted grapefruit tree to the backyard, and am hoping the lone tree I have growing on my front porch is actually the blood orange that I thought was out back.  My potted lime had hundreds of blossoms a few months back, and now has 50+ fruits that have begun to mature.

Lemon tree, blueberries, fig tree

Meanwhile, tiny blossoms in the vegetable garden are slowly but surely turning into the beginnings of tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and other delicious items.  Until all that goodness is ready, I'll just have to enjoy to process of watching everything grow.  My occasional handful of blueberries will have to keep me going for a couple more months!

Enjoying some homegrown Sunshine Blues

This week's title is inspired by the song of the same name by Adele.

No comments:

Post a Comment