Eaters - 12.5 Compost - .5 Carry Over - 0
With my parents in town for the week, we did a great job of eating nearly everything for the first time! We had a few carrots go uneaten, followed by a week out of town (see Week 6), and by the time we got home they were past their prime and had to hit the compost. We made some fantastic meals this week, though, and our Oregon visitors really appreciated all of the fresh ingredients that we were able to incorporate into our meals courtesy of our California CSA box!
- We gobbled down the chicken mole verde recipe that allowed us to use cilantro and the entire radish plant (tops and roots)
- The green garlic, lemon salad dressing was wonderful on top of fresh lettuce, spinach, carrots and radishes from the box, and also it was delicious as a spread for bread - yum!
- The swiss chard with green garlic was just ok - the wonderful green garlic was sadly overpowered by the chard and prosciutto
- The steak salad (featuring skirt steak from our meat CSA) was good but while eating it, it definitely felt like something was missing. I later realized that I had forgotten to add chili paste to the dressing, which I think would have brought the flavors together quite nicely.
- Call me crazy, but the bitter tendencies of the braised greens just did not blend well with the sweetness of the apple and sweet potato. I give this one a big fat thumbs down (though others in the family didn't feel as adamantly opposed to it as I was)