Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week 4 - Off With Their Heads!

If this is your first time visiting, read this to learn more about what we're up to!

Meal planning this week has been a bit of a challenge.  For one, I've got five items from last week's box to use up, in addition to the (gratefully only) nine we received this week.  I'm really at a loss though, because I have NO idea what to do with fennel tops, which is one of the ingredients that we just received.  I can find plenty of recipes for fennel, but nothing much that looks appetizing using only the tops.  So, for now this week's meal plan is taking on everything but the fennel tops.  Recipe recommendations will be gladly accepted!

In the box this week
(top row) Lettuce, Braising Greens, Swiss Chard
(bottom row) Carrots, Fennel Tops, Leeks, Blood Oranges, Apples, Strawberries

Meal plan for the week
Sunday: Rapini with fusilli and sausage (rapini from last week, sausage from our new meat CSA)
Monday: Leek and Swiss Chard frittata 
Tuesday: Halibut over spicy Tatsoi (repeat recipe at the boys' request, using up last week's tatsoi)
Wednesday: Braised Greens over polenta with grilled chicken
Thursday: Turkey taco salads with Lettuce, Carrots, and grilled Leeks

I'm hoping at some point that cooking with all these amazing vegetables will feel more routine.  For now, it feels like it takes an immense amount of work and planning, and I feel like I'm barely finding time to document any of the process.  There are definitely some moments of joy along the way - seeing my kids eat brand new veggies, receiving my first perfect "10" on a meal, checking out what we've eaten over the past month using one of Blogger's new view options - but it's also eating up a big chunk of time each week and sometimes I wonder what it will feel like to get to the 'end' of this.  Since we're only at week four though I think it's best to just take it day by day and not get too far ahead of myself.  It does seem sort of exciting to think that in a year's time I just might know what to do with those dang fennel tops...

This week's title is inspired by the Kaiser Chiefs album of the same name, and of course the Queen of Hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment