Sunday, January 15, 2012

Week 41 - Somebody that I Used to Know

Sometimes, when I look back over the course of the last year, I wonder what and how we ate before we began this 'year in a box' adventure.  I 'cooked' a few times a week, but it was more frequently food preparation than cooking.  I would throw together partially-prepared ingredients from the grocery store, with a rotation of five or six meals that got made repeatedly over the course of the month.  After looking what we've been eating over the past ten months, I feel like that person is someone that I used to know.  There are some weeks that I feel like cooking more than others, but I can't really imagine not eating based on what's seasonally available.  Dollar for dollar, buying the bulk of our produce through our CSA at the farmer's market is a way better deal than trying to buy organic produce at the grocery store.  It's amazingly fresh, it lasts a long time, and I am motivated to waste as little as possible.  While it's not over yet, it is safe to say that this experiment of ours has been a life changing one. 

(top) lettuce, spinach, arugula, cilantro
(bottom) bunching onions, sugar snap peas, tomatillos, poblano peppers, apples, tangerines, strawberries
 Meals/recipes for the week
This doesn't feel like a very challenging week, but I suppose that is because so many of the ingredients go together so well.  Or, maybe it's just because this whole process is getting easier.
This week's title is inspired by the song of the same name by Gotye.

No comments:

Post a Comment