Eaters - 8.5 Compost 2.5 Carry Over - 0
We did some fun things in the kitchen during the first week of our holiday break (kids and mom included), and put a lot of the box to good use. Who knew that beets could make delicious muffins, or that spaghetti squash could be enjoyed two ways in one day - savory, and in bread? I neglected to get a soup made (so the swiss chard and dill hit the compost), but we made the most of everything else in the week's box.
- The strawberry beans were gorgeous both unshelled and shelled! It's too bad that most of the beauty got cooked away, but they were delicious in the pasta recipe that was passed along by our CSA. If you ever see these at a farmer's market, grab them quickly.
- These whole wheat blueberry beet muffins really surprised me. The dough was beautiful and - though most of the red cooked away - the end result was moist and tasty. You could definitely taste the beets, but the flavor didn't overpower the entire muffin.
- This week, we received a GIANT spaghetti squash. It think it was almost five pounds. After baking it and getting out the good stuff, it was clear that we'd have enough for two recipes. I did a little poking around and found a recipe for a spaghetti squash and carrot bread. The kids kept calling it banana bread, which signals to me that they thought it was really good.
- We made the eggplant beef lasagna and gave it away to a family member who had just had a baby. We didn't taste it (and I forgot to take a photo), but we hear that it was really good.
- The carrot spinach strawberry banana smoothie was about as expected. The color looked like mud (i.e. quite unappetizing). It was sweet, but not overly so. I think I prefer juicing carrots and spinach to making a smoothie out of them, but it'd be ok for an occasional breakfast.
- I didn't think it was too bad (nor did I think it was amazing), but the boys were not fans of the lemon sage spaghetti squash recipe. I think I used garlic that was very strong, as they kept complaining that it was too spicy in addition to being pretty mushy.