Eaters - 8.5 Compost - 1.5 Jack-o-Lantern - 1
My lack of planning turned out about as expected. I threw together a few meals with what we had around, but without really planning to use all of the ingredients, a bit more hit the compost this week than I would have liked. That said, it was nice to have a little more flexibility. On the heels of this experiment within an experiment, I'm thinking that I should plan 4-5 meals in advance based on the ingredients in the box, but give myself a bit more flexibility during the week as to when they are served. Frittata planned for dinner and my husband forgets to look and makes scrambled eggs for breakfast? Then I'll switch meals around... you get the idea.
- After finding some delicious pepperoni at a local Italian deli, my son and I did a little improvisation with a traditional bolognese recipe substituting pepperoni for pancetta, adding in fresh tomatoes, and garnishing with chopped arugula. One of the best meals that I've ever made!
'Bolognese' in process
The completed meal
- With avocados like these, they tend to outshine everything else on the plate. Serving guacamole with a simple mango salsa on fish tacos was a hit with the entire family.
- With lots of green vegetables in the box and in my fridge, I prepared a simple stir fry with chicken, and included spinach, swiss chard and squash from the box.
- I roasted some veggies, including squash, in the oven, then combined with some quinoa for a yummy side dish.
- While not featuring much from the box except some garlic from a previous week, I made a meal this week that used up some items from my pantry. The hummus-crusted chicken with lemon and rosemary was simple and good, and the millet 'risotto' with artichokes and mushrooms reminded me that it is possible to make great meals beyond the confines of rice and pasta.
- Let's just say that I cook better than I carve!