Monday, October 31, 2011

Week 30 in Review

The Score
Eaters - 8.5     Compost - 1.5    Jack-o-Lantern - 1

My lack of planning turned out about as expected.  I threw together a few meals with what we had around, but without really planning to use all of the ingredients, a bit more hit the compost this week than I would have liked.  That said, it was nice to have a little more flexibility.  On the heels of this experiment within an experiment, I'm thinking that I should plan 4-5 meals in advance based on the ingredients in the box, but give myself a bit more flexibility during the week as to when they are served.  Frittata planned for dinner and my husband forgets to look and makes scrambled eggs for breakfast?  Then I'll switch meals around... you get the idea.

The Best
  • After finding some delicious pepperoni at a local Italian deli, my son and I did a little improvisation with a traditional bolognese recipe substituting pepperoni for pancetta, adding in fresh tomatoes, and garnishing with chopped arugula.  One of the best meals that I've ever made!
 'Bolognese' in process

The completed meal

The Good
  • With avocados like these, they tend to outshine everything else on the plate.  Serving guacamole with a simple mango salsa on fish tacos was a hit with the entire family.
  • With lots of green vegetables in the box and in my fridge, I prepared a simple stir fry with chicken, and included spinach, swiss chard and squash from the box.
  • I roasted some veggies, including squash, in the oven, then combined with some quinoa for a yummy side dish.

The Rest
  • Let's just say that I cook better than I carve!

No comments:

Post a Comment