Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week 10 - Pure Imagination

Now that we're getting more comfortable with all of the produce in our weekly box, the stresses of this process is slowly but surely transforming into fun.  Instead of quickly sneaking in and out of the farmer's market to pick up our box - hesitant to buy anything more than what we already had to 'get through' - it's been great to take a few minutes to see what else we might add to the week's bounty.  After a simple attempt at pickling last week, I decided it'd be fun to try a slightly more challenging recipe this week so bought a few extra pounds of pickling cucumbers.  Weiser Family Farms had their very own variety of Zebra potatoes available (see photo below), and those seemed like they'd go perfectly with the Healthy Family Farms rib-eye steaks that we were going to pick up from our meat CSA.  There were also some gorgeous blueberries that seemed to be calling out.  So, although this week involves a business trip and a big event at the boys' school (= fewer family meals), I'm hoping to do some canning over the weekend to make up for the mid-week cooking that just won't be happening.  

In the box this week
(top) Spinach, Lettuce, Zucchini, Basil
(bottom) Zebra Potatoes, Green Garlic, Sugar Snap Peas, Pickling Cucumbers, Avocados, Blood Oranges, Strawberries

Meal plan for the week
Weekend fun: homemade yogurt, blueberry and meyer lemon (from our backyard) marmalade, and quicker kosher dills - all recipes from the great book Canning for a New Generation by Liana Krissoff
Sunday: Rib-eye steaks, Zebra Potatoes, Zucchini - all on the grill
Monday: Basil pesto pasta, with sauteed Sugar Snap Peas and Green Garlic
Tuesday: Frittata with prosciutto, Spinach and Basil

My husband commented the other day that I've been really domestic of late.  I think it's more that I'm finding my love of science through its manifestation in many kitchen-related activities.  All of this is a big experiment, and every new process that I can try is a fun challenge for me.  It might seem like a return to the past, but I love the idea that I can do more and more of the feeding of my family and rely less and less on 'processed foods.'  The possibilities seem endless!
This week's title is inspired by the Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory song by Gene Wilder.

No comments:

Post a Comment