Sunday, August 21, 2011

Week 22 in Review

I'm very late in getting last week's review up, but I think I have a good excuse... I was doing this:

For the last eight months, I've been working with a friend to plan for a learning garden at our children's school.  It's a typical urban public school, with too much asphalt and not enough green.  After a tremendous amount of generosity from community businesses, this weekend was the build, and getting ready was all consuming.  The garden is now about 80% done, and I'm ready to take a breather and get back to the rest of my life!

The Score
Eaters - 11    Compost - 0.5     Carry Over -0.5
Fueling up for the big build meant a lot of good eating.  We had friends over for dinner twice this past week, and that helped us get through almost everything.  One of the amazing avocados is still ripening up, but that will certainly get eaten up when it's ready, and a little cabbage did hit the compost bin.  All in all a great week, with some fun projects to boot.

The Best
  • The meal itself was nothing fancy, but the process of making the sauce was fun and the end result was quite tasty!
 Twelve pounds of gorgeous heirloom tomatoes ready for roasting

Juicy goodness with yummy basil leaves

We got seven pints out of the batch

Heirloom tomato sauce with spaghetti and meatballs

The Good
  • We made grilled fish tacos one night, but the true highlight was the pico de gallo.  I'm not sure if I've ever had sweeter tomatoes, and with the fresh cilantro, the entire bowl was gone in seconds.

  • Remember that batch of sauerkraut from a few weeks back?   It was finally ready to eat, so we enjoyed it over bratwurst with a fresh garden salad and super sweet cantaloupe.  

  • I can't say that I love the texture of okra, but given the fact that this was my first time preparing it, I could be partially at fault.  That said, this was a delicious veggie curry dish that could make for a great base for any variety of ingredients from the box (this batch included okra, kale, tomatoes and onions).  

No comments:

Post a Comment