Eaters - 9 Compost - 1 Carry Over - 1
Our 'over the rainbow' ingredients made for several great meals this week. So good, in fact, that this may be the first week where there were really no recipe duds at all in the meal plan. That said, I continue to struggle using up all of the lettuce, with some hitting the compost again this week. We also have a couple of lemon cucumbers and grapefruit left over that will follow us into next week. On second thought, perhaps I just came up with a great idea for tomorrow morning's juice!
- The Thai beef skewers with peanut sauce and Thai (Lemon) Cucumber salad was, in my mind, one of the best meals that I've ever made. I changed things up a bit and made a peanut sauce recipe from the Sept/Oct Cooks Illustrated magazine (the recipe for is only available if you are a magazine subscriber, or sign up for a free 14 day trial), but the combo of the marinated steak, peanut sauce and cucumber salad was really fantastic! I didn't quite get the lime fro yo done on time for dessert, but it was enjoyed later in the week, and was wonderful too.
- The mashed potato and Kale recipe that was accompanied by chicken, chorizo and red pepper sauce was a big hit with the entire family. The cheesy potatoes and kale will likely become a staple recipe for us; it was that good!
- The lightness of the (once purple, but after cooking) Green Beans, Grape Tomatoes with a lemon ricotta sauce over pasta made for a perfect summer dinner.
- It's hard to go wrong with (heirloom!) Tomatoes, fresh Basil, garlic and olive oil! We used this tri-colore checca to make bruschetta, and tossed the leftovers with pasta.
- The moist Carrot muffins were enjoyed for both breakfasts and snacks, and were pretty with flecks of purple and orange (from the carrots) and yellow (from the pineapple).