Sunday, September 25, 2011

Week 25 in Review

Score
Two weeks late!

My apologies for falling off of my own program, but it has been an insanely busy couple of weeks.  Two weekends ago, we went out of town for a family wedding and were unable to pick up our box.  From there, sadly, my Year in a Box efforts went straight downhill.  With a very busy work schedule, sick kid (with a migraine 9 out of 14 days in a row), final push to finish the school garden that I've been working on, and related garden fundraiser that I needed to finish planning, meal planning and blogging sort of went out the window.  The good news is that the garden is done, and the fundraiser is happening this week.  So, back to life, back to reality, and with that, here are a few highlights from week 25!


The Best
  • Not at all food related (or at least not yet), but I'm so excited that we were able to finish the school garden and open it to the students.  The kids were running around in it like it was a maze.  Up next: time to plant a fall garden in about two weeks!

The Good

 
  • I was surprised by how much I liked the Black Eyed Peas recipe!  It was sort of like a gourmet version of bean and bacon soup, a favorite from my childhood. 

The Rest
  • Perhaps if you like eggplant, you'd quite like this eggplant pasta salad recipe, but it didn't do much for me or the kids.  It wasn't quite broken down enough to be saucy, but wasn't firm enough to be a veggie-enhanced pasta.  It was just kind of mushy.

And then, there was the box that I skipped...
  • Just in case you were curious, here's the box that I didn't document at all.  We used quite a bit of it, just not in any sort of organized fashion.
 (top) lettuce, yellow beans, sorrel, broccoli
(bottom) tomatoes, carrots, onions, red peppers, avocados, strawberries

No comments:

Post a Comment